Thursday, August 23, 2012

Review: Herbert West: Reanimator


Herbert West: Reanimator
Herbert West: Reanimator by H.P. Lovecraft

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Note: This story is part of The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft, made available in ebook format at CthulhuChick.com.

Synopsis: The narrator tells the story, in multiple vignettes, of Herbert West's obsessive quest to reanimate the recently dead.

My Thoughts: When I lived in Eden Prairie, Minnesota, my husband and the time and I developed an obsession with B-movies of all ilk, watching them for hours. Among those we particularly enjoyed were the "Reanimator" series of films, based upon this short story.

The story provides a low-level, steady progression of horror as the narrator watches Herbert West devolve into madness. Lovecraft writes using beautiful, lyrical language - linguists will find reading these stories riveting and enjoy the mental stimulation of the lovely words.

If you enjoyed the movies, if you enjoy stories of the weird and esoteric, and if you enjoy highly creepy tales, then don't miss this wonderful short story.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.