Sunday, September 16, 2012

Celebrating Women: Women's Friendship day


This is now part of the Celebrating women blog hop. See more here.


Today, September 16, is Women's Friendship Day. As a woman, I wanted to make a special post for today for my blog. I haven't really thought about what I would say or talk about, I just wanted to celebrate my womanhood, being a woman, and my women friends.

Much too often in our society we are shamed, encouraged to hate our bodies, hate each other, compete - but that's not what being a woman is about. We should celebrate our diversity, yes, but we should also celebrate and support each other. Get rid of that attitude that you are somehow "less" - every woman, everywhere, is beautiful in some way. You just have to look for it, and you will find it. Maybe it's her beautiful smile, or her beautiful eyes, or her lovely, womanly, motherly shape. Maybe it's her beautiful personality, shining through despite everything she's gone through. Maybe it's her glorious hair, her sparkling laugh. You can find it. You need only look, see beyond the filter of the societal standards, and you will find it.

Look at yourself in the mirror today and say: "I am a woman, I am beautiful." Seek out the divine beauty in yourself, my beautiful friends. I am a woman. I am beautiful.




22 comments:

  1. Great post Katy! :)

    Just popping by from the Blog Hop.

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, hi, thanks for stopping by! I don't think I've been to yours yet; I'll be by momentarily...

      Delete
  2. What a lovely, encouraging post! Thanks for participating, Katy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Katy! As a woman who doesn't wear make up 99% of the time and is more likely to be found in trainers and jeans than a skirt and heels, I know I'm far from the magazine ideal. Does it make me less beautiful? I don't care. I like to think happiness and joy help us radiate beauty far more than Lancome or Clinique. Celebrating womanhood, be joyful, be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember the last time I wore makeup - I think it was about 2 1/2 years ago. And I'm usually found in dirty shorts and a dirty shirt, from having my cat drooling all over me. I'm perfectly content this way :-) I'm looking at your picture, at least the thumbnail, and I see a gorgeous woman. *hugs*

      Delete
    2. Donna, Makeup and all the fake stuff does not a woman make! It's our shining personality! I also have veered away from makeup when before you would NEVER catch me DEAD without it! LOL!
      Katy - Your post you set out to write turned out beautiful! GREAT post! I remember those days full of drool! They seem like just yesterday - enjoy EVERY one! The time flies tooooo quickly!
      You are both beautiful! :)

      Delete
    3. PS. Thanks for posting this on Google+! That's where I found this! And, another GREAT BOOK Blog, too! Thanks! Laurie

      Delete
    4. Thanks, Laurie. As I told Lacey below, I was inspired to share this again, despite its age, by a post I saw from an author I know talking about the increasingly negative images of women being thrown around by the media. We just need to stand up to that sort of nonsense. Enjoy looking around; I have plenty of stuff to explore :-)

      Delete
  4. I love this post, Katy! You speak a wonderful truth about our self-image! Just stopping by from the Blog Hop, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your energy and enthusiasm in this post. Thanks for sharing. :3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post to celebrate who we are - excellent job!

    Thanks for sharing, and let's have a cheer for womanhood :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! *raises Coke can, as only thing is handy*

      Delete
  7. What a good reminder. We are often our own worst critics. Thanks for participating in this blog event.
    http://teawithdee.blogspot.com/2012/09/celebrating-womanhood-une-femme-dun.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I read your post -it was amazing! Thanks for dropping by, and anyone who has made it this far - go read Deanna's post - it's wonderful!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Hey, Coral - how you doin'? Thanks for stopping by...

      Delete
  9. It's true. I can always find something attractive in almost any woman.The only thing that turns me away is a nasty disposition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. It's so important for us to learn to be kinder to one another. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. :-) I was inspired to send this out again due to Rhiannon Frater's blog post I saw today on Goodreads about the incredibly negative self-image women are inspired to adopt due to the whole "celebrity" and social image that we are expected to try to fit into. Bah, I say.

      Delete
  11. wow very nice..

    http://friendshipdays2014.blogspot.in/

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPO_e_VYJqY

    ReplyDelete

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.