Sunday, September 16, 2012

Review: Dutiful Daughter


Dutiful Daughter
Dutiful Daughter by Christopher Kellen

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Book Info: Genre: Science Fiction/Space Opera Reading Level: Adult Recommended for: Fans of science-fiction and space opera.

Disclosure: I picked up a copy of this book free first on Smashwords and then later on Amazon (because I forgot I had it); I am under no particular obligation, but am happy to provide an honest review.

Synopsis: During routine wargame maneuvers, the V.S.S. Renaissance encounters strange FTL signatures approaching their home world on an attack vector. Join Captain Trace Atherton as she fights the battle that could cost her crew, her career, and maybe even her life...

For fans of military science-fiction authors like David Weber, Fred Saberhagen and David Drake, Dutiful Daughter is a short story set among the Syndicate Worlds, where glorified crime bosses own entire planets and fight each other for fun and profit.

My Thoughts: This is a very short story, which is both good and bad. Good, because it was a quick read when I wanted to get one more review done this weekend, and bad because space opera requires a vast, sweeping canvas on which to apply its overall brush strokes.

That said: holy crap, when is Kellen going to write the books for this story? This is fodder for a terrific series of space operas and/or military science-fiction and I want to read them now! If you’re a fan of the genre, and especially if you enjoy David Weber’s Honor Harrington series, you will not want to miss this wonderful short story.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.