Thursday, November 8, 2012

Review: City of the Lost


City of the Lost
City of the Lost by Stephen Blackmoore

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Please note: Originally read in Dec. 2011; updating the review to add a disclosure

Disclosure: I received this book through the Goodreads First Reads program in exchange for a review.

My Synopsis: Joe Sunday is a henchman and a thug – he’s worked for the same guy for 20 years and enjoys his work, for the most part. Then his friend and co-thug Julio has a breakdown – goes bughouse in a bar, leaving Joe to pick up the pieces of a job left undone. Joe has to go kill a man and steal a gem from him for his boss. However, things go a bit amiss when Joe ends up being killed himself. The problem is – he doesn’t stay dead. What has happened to Joe? What’s the deal with this gem? And who, exactly, is Sandro Giavetti?

My Thoughts: I really enjoyed this book – it is a different take on pretty much everything: zombies, vampires, demons, witches and wizards … nothing is quite what you expect and Joe himself is right in the middle of everything. There is a great deal of dark humor in the book – Joe has a lot of great one-liners, and has a lot of great one-liners said to him as well. If you are looking for something distinctly different in the urban fantasy genre – something that reminds me a bit of a Guy Ritchie flick – then you will love City of the Lost. Don’t miss this one!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.