Thursday, November 15, 2012

Review: Midnight: Century of the Vampires


Midnight: Century of the Vampires
Midnight: Century of the Vampires by Ami Blackwelder

My rating: 1 of 5 stars



Book Info: Genre: Paranormal Dystopia
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Can’t recommend it

Disclosure: I received an ARC copy of this novella in e-book form from the author in exchange for a review. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: The world is no longer the way we remember. Few are even still alive to recall the days when midnight didn’t mean cowered away & hidden. Out of sight became our only way to survive since the...Century Vampires. If you want to live, trust no one.

Additional Information: “Midnight:Century of the Vampires” is part 1 of 3 of this series.

The series is continued in “Midnight: Rise of the Underground”.

My Thoughts: I had hoped to be able to read and review this for the author prior to its release at the end of October, but was unable to do so. My apologies for the delay in this review.

And my deepest apologies, but I could not finish this book. The part I read seemed to have been carefully proofread, as there were no obvious spelling errors or the like, but the way things were worded was just … painful. First off, a scene opens in a cave where apparently the main characters are trying to ambush some vampires – and they’re yelling back and forth to each other. They’ve known each other for two years, but while on the run from a vampire, Mark suddenly asks Aura how it was she found the place where they’ve been living together for two years – not very good priorities, if you ask me. And descriptions like:
Twin vampires dove like vultures over the tree as they landed on Mark and Aura... Aura didn’t have time to admire Mark’s robust frame, chiseled features and rounded arms. She had to keep focused on the blood sucker trying to rip off her head.... She had to keep the fangs from entering her chalk-white skin, from squirting its venom inside her veins, from draining all of her blood... The vamp didn’t give her an inch to move. His two legs teetered on either side of her, knees kicked into her ribs. His arms braced him above her as his fangs dripped of desire, desire for her blood, for her death.
It seems like every opportunity to remark on something completely unrelated to the scene at hand is taken. Also, vampires are said to do things like “throw their fangs” at necks... ?? Did anyone else see vampire dentures in their brains?

I’ve read a few other books by this author, and had mixed results, but nothing truly bad until this one. I have to wonder if maybe this book wasn’t rushed out too quickly. It felt to me like it could use some content editing, both to get rid of things like the description “arms limbs” and to smooth out the story flow.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.