Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Review: Saga of a Middle-Aged Vampire: A Short Story


Saga of a Middle-Aged Vampire: A Short Story
Saga of a Middle-Aged Vampire: A Short Story by Gayle Tiller

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I had a nice review all written up and lost it when my internet hiccuped! DAMN YOU INTERNET!!

Disclosure: I do not know when or why I picked up this strange little story on Smashwords. It is no longer there, and I do not know if it can be found anywhere anymore.

Synopsis: Valerie is a vampire and her life is not going well. After two hundred years of marriage, her husband has left her for a younger woman. She's lost her good paying job and she's living in a basement.

Valerie decides to give online dating a try. To her disappointment, her Valentine's Day date is rude and obnoxious. Later that night, he is found murdered. The police come after Valerie for answers.

My Thoughts: Initially this was set to be a two-star review. I really disliked most of the characters - only the police officer, a minor character, was at all sympathetic. Valerie had really irritating issues with body image, Charles was just a jerk... you get the idea.

However, the last 10 pages changed everything. There is an amazing twist to the ending of this that I just loved. Only a wonderfully devious mind would come up with it, and I enjoyed that immensely. So, if you like a great twist ending, and don't mind people who think "thin is the only way to be", then see if you can find this fun little story.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.