Thursday, April 11, 2013

Review: Opal Fire


Opal Fire
Opal Fire by Barbra Annino

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



Book Info: Genre: Paranormal Mystery/Chick Lit
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: fans of paranormal romance, chick lit
Trigger Warnings: murder, assault on women

Spoiler Alert: While it would be possible to write a review without spoilers, it would be difficult to adequately explain why I disliked the story without providing the specific example I chose. So be aware that there is a spoiler in the 3rd paragraph below. I will hide in on the two sites that allow such (and as a result, it won't be accessible at all on my blog), but the rest of you? Sorry, but it's there. It's marked, though, although without formatting it might be hard to see.

My Thoughts: I had already picked up the first two books in this series when the third one came up for my Amazon Vine selection, so I was very excited to discover that, since the books sounded like something I would like and this would save me having to track that third one down. This is the first book in the Stacy Justice series, followed by Bloodstone and Tiger's Eye. A fourth book, Emerald Isle, is scheduled for release sometime in 2013.

I sort of went back and forth on my feelings on this book. I would be enjoying it for what is was, but then I'd stop and think about it and have all kinds of issues with it, which are mostly personal issues about not caring much for “chick lit”. I also kept wanting to compare it to Practical Magic because the Geraghty Girls reminded me of the aunties. But when it came right down to it, and despite how much I loved Practical Magic, I really didn't like the story too much.

The reason has to do with the reasons I don't much care for chick lit or many romances, and that is that too many authors think that “feisty” translates into a complete in ability to deal with things rationally. So your boyfriend and ex-boyfriend are worried about you because there have been attacks and put a tracking device on your car. You are attacked again and the car goes through the ice. You almost drown. Since they could track you, they arrive just in the nick of time. Do you thank them? Are you happy to be saved? No, you're angry that they were watching over you. What on earth is WRONG with these people? That isn't “feisty”, that's “too stupid to live.”

If it weren't for the fact that a) I need to read the series because the third one is a Vine book and b) there is a twist at the very end that makes me hopeful the next book will be better, I'd just abandon this whole thing. However, if you like chick lit, if you like paranormal romances, if you like those sorts of stories, you will probably like this one, so don't let my grumpiness turn you off it.

Disclosure: I picked this book up on Amazon during a KDP promotion. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: Stacy Justice did not expect to be set on fire that night, but being raised by witches prepares one for life's little surprises. In fact, she isn't the least bit shocked when her cousin is accused of arson, or when her divorced grandparents sign up for a marriage retreat, or even when her own boyfriend hauls her off to jail. But when a decades-old secret is discovered within the walls of her cousin's bar, even Stacy is rattled. Now, someone wants her dead and she finds herself dodging angry motorists, exploding chickens and a very creepy man who lurks around every corner. As she begins to dig up the past, Stacy learns that even those closest to her have something to hide—and she's about to discover a destiny she never imagined.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.