Friday, June 21, 2013

Review: Grasping at Eternity


Grasping at Eternity
Grasping at Eternity by Karen Amanda Hooper

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Book Info: Genre: YA PNR (ParaNormal Romance)
Reading Level: Young Adult
Recommended for: Fans of YA PNR, even those who do not normally like PNR
Trigger Warnings: attempted murder, suicidal ideation, murder (past lives)

My Thoughts: Usually romance makes me crazy, especially the type of romance where the hero and heroine are constantly clashing over silly things. However, I really enjoyed this author's previous book, Tangled Tides (review linked here where formatting allowed), so was willing to give this one the benefit of the doubt. I was very glad I did.

Karen Hooper is a writer whose romance I actually enjoy, especially when it addresses things like this one that I find interesting. The characters are realistic in many ways (other than the powers and such). I felt so bad for Maryah, losing her whole family and trying to cope, and then to have learn things that make the family you're just starting to fit into seem like they are complete lunatics must have been hard. I don't blame her for her reactions to Nathaniel (Nathan), because of course she had no idea what was going on.

Still, I was so heartbroken for Nathan. To have your soul mate, someone you've loved for centuries, deliberately choose to forget? That must be devastating. I felt so badly for him. I'm certain a lot of people will roll their eyes over the eternal soul mate thing, but I personally think that reincarnation and soul mates explains a lot of things that I've experienced in my life that are otherwise inexplicable. I believe in both soul mates and reincarnation, as well as the fact that we often choose to remain in certain company from life to life.

I could go on and on about all the different characters (Amber and her critters, Sheila in general, Carson, Dakota, Louise, Anthony....) but this is already becoming a rather long review, so I'll leave off here. I think a lot of people will enjoy this book, even those who, like me, do not normally enjoy romance. I definitely want to continue reading this series, to find out what happens next. Highly recommended.

Note: I'll be giving away five e-book copies of this book on my blog starting Monday, June 24, so watch for that! The second book in this series, Taking Back Forever was released in late May.

Disclosure: The author sent me a copy of this book in gratitude for reviewing her other book, Tangled Tides. She specifically absolved me of any need to write a review, but I'm happy to provide an honest review nonetheless. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: Leave it to Maryah Woodsen to break the one rule that will screw up eternity: Never erase your memories. 

Before entering this life, Maryah did the unthinkable—she erased. Now, at seventeen years old, she’s clueless that her new adoptive family has known her for centuries, that they are perpetually reincarnated souls, and that they have supernatural abilities. Oh, and she's supposed to love (not despise) Nathan, the green-eyed daredevil who saved her life.

Nathan is convinced his family’s plan to spark Maryah's memory is hopeless, but his love for her is undying. After spending (and remembering) so many lifetimes together, being around an empty version of his soulmate is heart shattering. He hates acting like a stalker, but has no choice because the evil outcast who murdered Maryah in their last lifetime is still after her. 

While Maryah’s hunter inches closer, she and Nathan make assumptions and hide secrets that rip them further apart. Maryah has to believe in the magic within her, Nathan must have faith in the power of their love, and both need to grasp onto the truth before they lose each other forever—and discover just how lonely eternity can be.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.