Thursday, August 22, 2013

Review: Killshot


Killshot
Killshot by Elmore Leonard

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Please note: I read this book in 2006. I'm just updating some of the formatting. This is also a celebration of Elmore Leonard, whose life tragically ended this week.

My Expectations: Since I am a fan of the movie adaptations of Elmore Leonard's works (Jackie Brown, Be Cool) I've been wanting to start reading his books. This is the first I've read and I was most impressed with his writing style.

My ThoughtsI was amused to find him not at all sympathetic toward police or U.S. Marshals, although he did seem to like his FBI character; in fact, if anything, he seemed most sympathetic toward Blackbird, his assassin character. Despite gaping holes in this character, his was the most filled in one in the bunch and by the end you almost found yourself wondering if he could be redeemed.

My Synopsis: The Colsons, the couple who find themselves on the run after accidentally being caught in the middle of an attempted protection shake-down by an ex-prisoner, Richie Nix, and Blackbird, are presented initially as the perfect married couple, but as the strain of the chase gets to them, the strains they have kept hidden within their marriage start to come out. Perhaps to a certain degree this book is about how everyone faces the strain of day-to-day living by hiding how they feel? I hesitate to say, as I believe everyone will get something different from this book - however, I feel that there may be a deeper meaning hidden within this story.

My Future Plans: I can't wait to go on and read more of Mr. Leonard's books, and accumulate more of them as well - I only have two more at this time, but will be on the lookout for more at my favorite 2nd hand and discount stores (which is generally where I buy my books - otherwise, as many books as I buy, I'd be in severe trouble . . . )



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.