Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Remembering 9/11 - 12 years later

It's now been 12 years since the Twin Towers fell, and the world we live in today... it's not the same world we used to live in. The government, under the guise of "National Security", is taking liberties with our privacy and peace that never should have been allowed. They listen in on our phones, they watch our discussions on the web, and they profile people trying to travel through our airports.

But that's not what I wanted to talk to you about today. Today is about remembering. Remembering the thousands of people who died. Remembering that sinking, dreadful feeling we all felt that day, watching all across the world, as our dreams and hopes seemingly fell with those Towers.

Where were you? What were you doing?

I was living a very different life. I was married to my 2nd ex-husband, and working at the corporate offices for American Dairy Queen. I had actually gone out the night before with a friend of mine, and was late coming in to work that Tuesday. I had been listening to a CD in my car, hadn't seen the news, and I had no idea what was going on, and as I walked into the building our travel agent called to me. "Have you been listening to the news?" And no, I hadn't. "Someone flew a plane into the World Trade Center."

Well.

All that morning there was a hush through the offices. None of us were doing any work. It didn't even seem as though the phones rang. Televisions were put in the conference room, and we all gathered in there, watching with distress. They finally sent us home early, about lunchtime. Another of my friends didn't want to be alone, so she came over to my place and we sat and watched CNN all that day. It all seemed to far away from Minneapolis. We cried. Then we went out onto the balcony to smoke and tried to cheer each other up. That was my day.

How about you?

Tell me in the comments your thoughts and memories. How has this affected you? Did you know anyone lost or injured during 9/11? And most of all: remember. Remember the brave police and firefighters and just outright heroes who took part in that day, some of whom lost their lives. Remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.