Saturday, May 3, 2014

Review: Vampire News (Volume 1) 2011


Vampire News (Volume 1) 2011
Vampire News (Volume 1) 2011 by Bertena Varney

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Book Info: Genre: Anthology/Vampires/Essays, Articles, etc.
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: hardcore vampire junkies

My Thoughts: This is sort of a variety book, outlining what was going on in the world of vampire literature and movies in 2011, starting with a timeline, and then moving on to “articles” and “interviews.” Honestly, I think most of the articles are blog posts repurposed for the book, because no self-respecting writer would put “LoL” into an article (and I did find this). The editing is also sub-par; I saw things like, “gauge your eyes out,” (should be “gouge”), “therein lies the rube,” (should be “rub”), “cope out,” (should be “cop out”), and “whatever he or she's name is,” (should be “whatever his or her name is”). The interviews were interesting, and I did like the timeline, which gave me some ideas of books and movies I missed back then. There is also an impressive listing of websites sprinkled throughout the book, and I imagine if you were reading the e-book version on a tablet you could jump right to them and follow-through on various questions. Since I actually purchased a paperback version of this book (and since I can't find an e-book edition anywhere), that will have to remain pure speculation, however.

Hardcore vampire junkies should find information in here that will lead them to books, movies, webisodes, and web pages having to do with vampires of various types. If that is you, then grab up this book. There is a second volume called The (not so) End Times Edition! released in April, 2013 as well.

Disclosure: I purchased this book for myself. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: Whether you love the romantic, dangerous, or traditional vampires, whether you prefer a good book or to wait up late at night to catch the noir classics; or whether you stand anxiously in movie lines, blog, join vampire community websites, support famous and up-n-coming authors, get vamp tattoos, go to Cons, or are waiting in the wings of some dark dream, then this Book is for You! The Vampire Professor, Bertena Varney, MA, and acclaimed author, Stavros, have compiled for you a truly delightful tome for vampire fans of all ages! Researched thoroughly with love and dedication, Vampire News features some of the most insightful facts, tips, blips, quips, notes, essays, articles, interviews, news reports, weblinks, and radical thoughts from several of today’s leading authors, professors, enthusiasts, musicians, models, photographers, and fun-loving nuts working within the vampire genre today! Vampire News provides the reader with a unique sneak peak at what lies behind the curtain from the people that craft the stuff of nightmares!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for the moderation, but I am spending almost an hour a day deleting spam messages. I will approve all comments as quickly as possible.